- On Census day in March 2011, Oxford's 'usual resident population' was estimated to be 151,900.
- The city's population grew by 12% over the decade 2001-2011. The population is projected to continue to grow, reaching 161,000 by 2019.
- Due to the large number of university students, Oxford has a relatively young population - visit our age and gender or university students pages for more information
- Population turnover is also very high. In 2001, 25% of the population had moved within the last year - the highest rate of any English local authority area
- At the 2011 Census there were estimated to be 55,400 households containing 133,200 residents - an average household size of 2.4, which had increased from 2.3 in 2001
- In addition there were 18,700 people living in communal establishments - the majority of whom were students living in university colleges or halls of residence
- Oxford is an ethnically diverse city, and it is also internationally diverse. In 2011, 28% of Oxford's residents had been born outside the UK, and there were an estimated 4,000 short-term international migrants visiting the city.
- The city has many visitors - see our economic statistics pages for estimates of the numbers of commuters and tourists who work in and visit Oxford.
More detailed population statistics are available on these pages:
Household population growth by ward, 2001-2011 (389kB PDF)
Communal establishment population growth by ward, 2001-2011 (329kB PDF)
Growth in Oxford's international diversity (January 2013; 50kB PDF)
The twelve stats of the Census (December 2012; 47kB PDF)
2001-2011: a decade of growth in Oxford's population (July 2012; 51kB PDF)
Map of population turnover, 2001 (222kB PDF)
Population by country of birth, 2011 Census (62kB XLS)
Population growth by ward, 2001-2011 (30kB XLS)
Housing-led population estimates and projections, 2001-2026 (23kB XLS)
2011 Census pages and the population theme page of the Office for National Statistics website
Population forecasts dashboard on Oxfordshire Insight
Page last reviewed 7 May 2013